UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the world’s needs for building peace, recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe. In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Project Engineer (Multiple positions)
IICA - Level 1 (International Individual Contractor Agreement)
Non – Rotational
Various Project Org Unit AFO – SDOC
Juba and other states, South Sudan (non-family)
6 – 12 months (with possibility of extension)
September 07th, 2011
The United Nations Office of Project Services (UNOPS) – Sudan Operations Centre (SDOC) is based in Juba. Current SDOC operations are largely focused on assisting partners with the implementation of physical infrastructure projects including designing, constructing and rehabilitating roads and bridges, schools, clinics, and Government and Ministry offices. SDOC also procures goods and services for a number of partners and provides logistics and operational support to institutions in Sudan with the overall objective to build peace and to promote the implementation of the CPA.
UNOPS – SDOC works with various United Nations partners including the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) as well as other donors, including the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the European Union (EU), the Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank and the Multi Donor Trust Fund (MDTF), amongst others.
The Project Engineer will report directly to the Project Manager for the respective project and will be responsible for the following specific responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Project Manager, the post holder will be responsible for all the tasks associated with the preparation of engineering plans/drawings and project documentation. The specific tasks will include the following:
- Prepare detailed engineering drawings that are required for the proposed project, and provide inputs to the design process, if required.
- Assist in the preparation of tender documents, evaluation of tenders, and finalization of contracts for construction and/or rehabilitation works.
- Preparation of the Bill of Quantities as per the final design drawings and calculate the final quantities.
- Establish a cost estimate for the rehabilitation and construction works and for ongoing maintenance.
- Production and submission of approved construction drawings to the contractor in accordance with work programme.
- Undertake field visit whenever required to resolve discrepancies in construction drawings issued, and where required, recommend modifications on the contract documents, specification, drawings, Bill of Quantities for the construction and rehabilitation of projects.
- Prepare amended or revised drawings as recommended by the Project Manager or Site Supervisor, and issue the same to the Site Supervisor and to the contractors.
- Develop geometric design from the survey results on either AutoCAD and/or Civil CAD programs.
- Work with Government staff in order to enhance and build the technical capacity and skills of the Government staff.
- Prepare periodic work progress reports, in accordance with donor guidelines for reporting.
- Prepare the ‘as-built drawings’ for the Project Manager’s approval and issue to the client on completion of the project.
- Prepare draft of contractual correspondence, interpret the contract conditions and specifications, monitor the Progress of Work, and prepare the Work Plan, S-curve, Minutes of Meeting etc.
- Assist in the management of project office including the material resources, equipments, etc. and maintain proper records management.
- Reconciliation of imported supply or other materials on completion of project, as directed by the Project Manager.
- Perform any other duties deemed necessary by the Project Manager.
Required Selection Criteria
- Be a good mentor, capable of working with others in a participatory and capacity building manner.
- Ability to work long hours in fast-paced, often stressful environment.
- Ability to travel and work in remote areas of Sudan with limited facilities and difficult working conditions.
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude and problem-solving approach, team player and can work with minimum supervision.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, work-related engineering software and telecommunications systems.
- Knowledge of the UN System and familiarity with the UN/UNDP/UNOPS procedures, specifically the financial rules and regulations, is an added advantage.
- Masters Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent acceptable qualification.
- Minimum 3 years of related experience with at least 1 year in projects related to road or airstrip construction or rehabilitation. (Additional 2 years of relevant work experience, preferably in combination with a relevant Bachelor’s degree, may substitute for the requirement for a Master’s degree).
- Computer skills in the preparation of engineering plans/drawings using AutoCAD or similar drafting software, and preparation of contract and project related documents are essential.
- Previous work experience in similar development stage and working conditions as in South Sudan will be an advantage.
- Work experience in developing / post conflict countries is an added advantage.
- The candidate will be thoroughly proficient in written and spoken English.
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) (available on our website), via e-mail to vacanciesSDOCInt@unops.org Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title in the subject line when applying by email.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.